Congratulations! You have completed the Countdown to Kindergarten process and you and your child are embarking together on an exciting journey of learning and discovery. Kindergarten in the Boston Public Schools typically begins the Monday following Labor Day. The following suggestions will help make those first days of school go more smoothly.
Develop a Plan for the First Day of Kindergarten. Will you be allowed to walk your child into the school? Some schools have strict policies and prefer parents to say good-bye outside. If you know your school's guidelines, you can prepare your child ahead of time so she will know what to expect. If your school has a policy that allows you to come in to the classroom, talk about how long you will be there (10-15 minutes may be all you need). When saying good-bye, mean it. If you anticipate a difficulty might occur for your child, when it comes to rest time or separating in the morning, feel free to discuss it with your child’s teacher or principal so that together you can ease the transition for your child. Remember you know your child better than anyone else.
Taking the Bus. If your child will be attending BPS and has been assigned a bus, you may want to take off the morning of the first day of school to see them off, and then follow the bus to get to know the route your child will take to school.
HINT: For the first day of school, dress your child in comfortable clothing. Have him wear elastic waistband pants (zippers, belts and buttons may be too much during the first couple of days). This way if he waits until the last minute to use the restroom, it will be easier for him to pull his pants down. Also, if your child does not know how to tie his own shoes, have him wear Velcro or slip-on shoes. Once your child feels comfortable and he is used to the new routines you can let him dress how he chooses.
Your 'Start School' Checklist
Complete in September. The steps you need to take are listed below and all relevant documents and links are indicated in purple in the Quick Links box to the right!
- If your child is taking the bus, make sure that you have your transportation assignment. For more about transportation, download and view the last page of our 'Information Sheets'
- Bring your completed 'Parent Questionnaire' to give to your child's teacher
- Review, complete and submit the 'BPS Parent / Student Agreement' by the date specified
- Celebrate the entrance into Kindergarten by participating in 'Kindergarten Days' (see Special Notices below)
- Join parents and kindergarteners at Countdown to Kindergarten's annual 'Citywide Celebration at the Children’s Museum' (see Special Notices below)
- Find out about Parent Council meetings at your school and attend them!
To subscribe to our enewsletter On the Countdown, with up-to-date registration and transition information. Please click here