The Boston Public Schools offer a variety of academic, social and cultural experiences that are hard to match anywhere else. Families can make choices from a customized list of schools that typically includes more than 20 elementary schools. When you register, we strongly encourage you to pick at least five schools, but you may list as many as you wish. Since the schools differ a lot, it is helpful to think about what factors are important to you and your child.
Registration is ongoing; however, for your best chance at a school assignment of your choice, it is important to register during Round 1. All students who register within the same round are assigned to schools at the same time when the round closes. First Round Registration for the 2013/2013 school year runs from January 3, 2013 through February 1, 2013.
- Your child must be 5 by September 1, 2013 to register for K2 kindergarten
- Your child must be 4 by September 1, 2013 to register for K1 kindergarten
- Your child must be or 3 by September 1, 2013 to register for K0 kindergarten
K1 and K0 seats are NOT guaranteed, so register during the First Round !
"Your 'Register for Schools' Checklist
Complete by February 1st, 2013 for best chance at your school choice. The steps you need to take are listed below and all relevant documents and links are indicated in blue in the Quick Links box to the right!
- Make sure to download and review the 'Information Sheets' for complete information
- Look at 'BPS What Are My Schools?' to get a list of schools available to you
- Pre-register using 'BPS Express'
- Go to a 'Family Resource Center' to complete the registration process
- Bring your child's original birth certificate, record of immunizations, and three proofs of residency as listed on the 'BPS Residency Policy'
- If you register the previous year and did not get an assignment, you must register again if you are interested in K1 or K2 seats.
- Read 'What’s Next' after registration
To subscribe to our enewsletter On the Countdown, with up-to- date registration and transition information. Please click here
BPS launches interactive tool to help explore new school choice options;
To view the tool and explore the model options now under consideration, visit bostonschoolchoice.org.
Will your Child be 4 or 5 by September 1?
Registration is ongoing. If you did not register during the First Round You must register as soon as possible for available seats
Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30 – 5:00 PM
Wednesdays: 12:00 – 7:00 PM
East Zone Family Resource Center 1216 Dorchester Ave.,
North Zone Family Resource Center 75 Malcolm X Blvd., Roxbury (Madison Park High School)
West Zone Family Resource Center 515 Hyde Park Ave., Roslindale
East Boston Satellite Registration Center (Open Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays in January)312 Border St., at the Umana Academy in East Boston