Families should start preparing for Kindergarten (K1 for 4 year old and K2 for 5 year old) a full year in advance of their start date, which is the September before their child turns 4 or 5. For a few families, it may start sooner. Boston Public Schools (BPS) has a number of a very limited number of seats for K0 programs for children who are 3 by September 1. There are 75 Early Learning Centers, Elementary and K-8 schools in the City of Boston. Families can choose from a number of schools that are located in their ZONE.
Attend a Countdown to Kindergarten Information Session for answers to all your questions about BPS schools, the registration process and more. Starting in November, Information Sessions provide tips on the transition and kindergarten selection/enrollment process, along with suggested activities to help families prepare for a successful entry into kindergarten.
During School Preview Time (November 5, 2012– January 11, 2013), the Boston Public Schools invites families to get to know the schools. With more than 75 early learning, elementary and K-8 schools in the City, visiting schools is the best way to decide which ones might be good matches for your child and your family. If you cannot attend a School Preview Time session, call the principal to set up visit. In most cases you will have the opportunity to walk around the school, talk with staff and see classrooms. You may be able to meet school parents or the parent liaison.
Attending the Boston Public New Zone base Schools Showcase is a great way to get an overview of your available schools before your start your school visits. (see Special Notice below). And be sure to use our School Visit Checklist to keep track of the information you gather on each of the schools you visit!
Your 'Visit & Choose Schools' Checklist
Complete during October to January. The steps you need to take are listed below and all relevant documents and links are indicated in red in the Quick Links box to the right!
- Review the Boston Public Schools 'Assignment Zone Maps' to determine which zone you live in
- Look at 'BPS What Are My Schools?' to get a list of schools that you can choose from
- Attend 'Boston Public Schools New Zone Base Showcase' on to get an overview of your available schools (see Special Notice below)
- Look at the 'School Preview Time Schedule' and start visiting schools in your zone. Make sure you visit more than one school. Visiting schools is the best way to decide which ones might be good matches for your child and your family
- Keep track of the schools you visit by using our 'Visiting Schools Check List'
- Read Countdown to Kindergarten 'Information Sheets' for complete registration information
- Check our registration 'Information Sessions' calendar and pick a session to attend to get up-to-date information on the registration process
To subscribe to our enewsletter On the Countdown, with up-to-date registration and transition information. Please click here
Remember, the approved plan will take effect school year 2013-2014.
Current assignment process will remain the same for the year 2013/2014
Zone Base Showcase of Schools
Early Education, Elementary, Middle, K-8 and Exam School options may be explored at one of these showcases:
East Zone Showcase
Thursday, November 8, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Location: Dever/McCormack K-8, 315 Mt. Vernon St., Dorchester, MA 02122
North Zone Showcase
Thursday, November 15, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Location: Madison Park High School, 75 Malcolm X Blvd., Roxbury, MA 02120
Come and see what BPS has to offer!
School Preview Time
Is for all families considering enrollment in the Boston Public Schools. During School Preview Time ( SPT), Schools have special visiting hours and activities to introduce families to their offerings.
WHERE: Click on School Preview Time schedule( Coming soon)
WHEN: November 5, 2012- January 11, 2013