Schools invite newly assigned kindergarten families to Welcome Sessions in the spring. These sessions are a great opportunity to meet other kindergarten families, meet your principals and kindergarten teachers, and put your child at ease about their upcoming transition. It also allows you to build relationships with school staff and learn about your new school's culture and curriculum. Although school won't officially begin until September 2018, schools look forward to getting to know you and your child in the spring. When you visit, ask the principal about guidelines and procedures for the first day of school.
Does your school have a uniform policy? If you are unsure, make sure to read about school uniforms download the school uniform PDF (Uniform PDF will be updated in June 2018) or you can ask your school when you visit. Great shops for uniforms include L&M, Target, Sears, Marshalls, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, and many other discount stores.
Does your school offer before-or after-school services? this is important especially for families entering K1, most after-school programs due to licensing regulations are not licensed for 4-year-olds. Please check with your school in regards to after-schools and age requirements. If a school has after-school program, ask for an application, complete it and leave a deposit. Enrollment in school-based programs is often limited and frequently on a first-come, first served basis. If your school does not offer care and/or you need help finding other options, visit www.bostnet.org for a complete listing of programs in Boston.
Your 'Meet Your School' Checklist
Complete during April to June. The steps you need to take are listed below and all relevant documents and links are at the bottom of the page!
- View the 'Welcome Sessions Schedule' on our calendar and attend a session at your school.
- Review 'What's Next' after registration
- Find out if any, 'school uniforms' are required at your child's school
- Make arrangements for before- and/or after-school care if needed
- Read our 'Helpful Handbook for K0, K1 and K2 Families'
- Learn about '10 Ways to Get Ready for Kindergarten'
- Pick up a FREE "I'm going to Kindergarten" Countdown to Kindergarten t-shirt, and guide at your local Boston Public Library in June. Wait for your postcard, please!